We are looking for a new backend engineer to join our team. We build products that are changing the insurance industry, and we need your help to make them even better! It's also the perfect time to join us as our company is growing quickly with new projects being added on a continual basis.
What will you be doing?
You'll be given ownership over specific parts of our platform and take on the responsibility for all technical decisions needed to grow the product.
- Scale our architecture. We are invested in a modern tech stack from the start. We run event-driven microservices on Google Cloud Platform; we leverage serverless, and we aim for end-to-end type safety. You will define what comes next.
- Scale the team. So far, we've doubled in size each year since our founding in 2018! You will take part in hiring and mentoring new people and help us grow from ~20 people to 100+.
- Work with complex and sensitive data. We make no compromises when it comes to customer privacy. You will be dealing with the challenging insurance data that's ever-evolving, loosely structured, and deeply personal.
- Connect with stakeholders and iterate with them. This might be the most overlooked part of any software engineering job. At Feather, everyone cares about the end-user, and you should too. You'll be speaking to the whole chain, from our customers to insurance experts as well as to your fellow engineers.
This is a Node.js role, but candidates that are switching from similar tech stacks (Python, Ruby, Elixir, etc.) are also welcome. Ideally, you'll have:
- Experience in a similar role and a strong knowledge of the node.js ecosystem.
- Experience with statically typed languages. We love TypeScript, and we hope you do too!
- Previous experience with event-driven microservice systems and working with message brokers like Cloud Pub/Sub, Kafka, or RabbitMQ.
- A good understanding of Google Cloud Platform or any other cloud provider and experience with modern deploy stack – serverless, docker, Kubernetes.
When was the last time you were pleasantly surprised by an insurance company? We bet the answer is never—and we've built Feather to change that.
We’re committed to creating a brand new insurance experience. We envision one without commission-hungry brokers, where our customers' best interests are always at the center.
We’re a small, but ambitious team and we’re crazy about fintech and insurance. Our company was founded in 2018 by Rob (CEO) and Vincent (CTO). Vincent was one of the first employees at N26, where he was instrumental in building and scaling their iOS app. Rob was previously working at McKinsey, where he consulted top insurance companies on how to improve their digital strategy.